Thursday, January 29, 2009

what to do with leftover soup
Tonight, fiesta! The matambre is cooking. Matambre is traditionally a pounded flank steak layered with vegetables, rolled and tied, and roasted in a dutch oven. I'm using a venison backstrap that a friend from church, Bill Durrmann, gave to me ('cause he's the great white hunter, and I'm not).

Anyway, I was thinking of a way to use up leftover soup. I've got some posole from the other day. I decided to drain the meat and hominy and use the 3 cups or so of broth to make a nice sauce.

Leftover soup sauce for meat, etc.:

2 tbsp. butter or evoo
2 tbsp. flour (I used whole wheat for this one)
2-3 c. leftover soup broth (broth only)
salt, cracked black pepper to taste

Melt the butter in a saucepan over med. heat until it starts to brown. Add flour and whisk quickly to mix. When roux (butter/flour mixture is called a roux) begins to brown, add broth and spices, if using. Whisk slowly until sauce begins to boil. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring until sauce thickens. Delicious over any meat.

No comments:

Post a Comment